Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Goodbye Password, Hello Security!

Hot on the heels of Microsoft's man-of-the-moment comments on passwords - he suggested you should write down passwords down in a "very secured place" rather than forcing users to remember umpteen dozen passwords - comes this article on CIO.com suggesting that the password has had its day.

An interesting thought, yet to be proven, and until we see some true standards there I think we'll have the password for a while longer. Of course, I continue to live in fear that one day I will forget all my passwords and I will simply cease to exist.

Postscript: a recent anecdote of a client who accidentally encrypted an assignment at uni through vainly bashing at the keyboard is a salient lesson to those of us who have ever wanted to take a computer out back and teach it a lesson.

No comments: